A large pot of steaming rice with the aroma of fresh jeeras ( cumin seeds )coming through, is an absolute delight. Jas, my lovely sibling, a self-proclaimed chef, is in the kitchen yet again. This time to cook for the family a delicious authentic Indian recipe- jeera rice and dal fry.
Trust me, if you have not tried this yet, before you hop onto butter chickens and paneer masalas– the ambassadors of Indian food, this simple and sumptuous recipe is a must have. Most of my desi readers would know how simple this recipe is. But for those who are new to it, let me start by saying- its a basic one that can be enjoyed all round the year. The steaming hot rice and the dal with extra tadka is one of the most loved Indian food. Whats more likeable about it is that it can be easily made, easily enjoyed without any side dishes and is definitely filling!
Check out the recipe for it:
- Basmati rice
- Dal (tuvar, arhar, pigeon pea lentils)
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 Onion Chopped
- Green chillies sliced
- jeera (cumin seeds)
- Mustard seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Chilli powder
- kasuri methi (Fenugreek leaves)
- pressure cook dal with a pinch of turmeric powder
- Mash the dal lightly with a spoon and set aside
- In a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fry
- Add onions, green chillies and the spices- turmeric powder and chilli powder
- Add tomatoes, once soft add in the mashed dal and let it simmer for 5 minutes
- Dal fry needs to be thick so add just just a little amount of water.
- Garnish with kasuri methi and finally coriander
For jeera rice
- Soak basmati rice in water for 15 mins
- In a pan take some oil, add cumin seeds (cashews optional)
- Add rice and saute
- Add water and let the rice cook for about 10 minutes. Place the lid on the pan
- After 10 minutes, put off the flame and keep it for about 10 minutes again
- Then open the lid and serve the rice with the hot dal fry
Dal fry and jeera rice coupled with some crispy papad and pickles makes for a complete delicious meal.
Hope you love the recipe.Do share your feedback!
have a good day ! 🙂