Its just June beginning, and Mumbai has been drenched in the monsoon showers already. Ask any mumbaikar and all they want to do when the roads are flooded and trains are blocked, is to sit by the window sipping hot chai and relishing some crispy snack. So today while it poured heavily outside, we decided to get working in the kitchen to prepare some hot spring rolls and celebrate the season in a foodie manner.
Spring rolls are quick and easy. Basically, its just the filling and the roll put together and tada- you have a tasty snack ready. Now the filling can be made in a variety of ways, adding the veggies of your choice, spicing it up ketchups and sauces. I make sure that the basics are in and the rest just follows.
For the roll
- All purpose flour
For the Filling
- French beans
- Green Chillies
- Spring onions
- Tomato ketchup
- Soya sauce
- Chilli sauce (or Schezwan sauce for a variation)
- Put together some all purpose flour and some water and knead into a dough. Add in some salt and oil too to make its soft and even
- Take out small portions and roll out small circular bases
- To make the filling put together length wise chopped carrots, French beans, green chillies, cabbage, spring onions and its greens
- Add salt as per requirement, tomato ketchup and chilli sauce.
- Moisten it a bit by adding a few drops of water if the mixture is rather dry (optional)
- Place the mixture that the centre of each flour base and roll it carefully .
- Deep fry the rolls till golden brown
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup
Hope you enjoy the spring rolls. Share with me your feedback.
have wonderful rainy days ahead! 🙂